Garmin forerunner 645 is a state of the art fitness and health tracking watch for athletes, especially runners. You can use it for measuring your heart rate, running speed, direction, altitude, calories rate, efficiency, and quality of training.
It can measure your stride style and length along with the number of steps for covering specific distance. In this Garmin forerunner 645 Review, we bring you the technical and functional specifications of the watch related to connectivity, activity monitoring, target tracking, and training goals.
Garmin forerunner 645 gives you plenty of options to use apps sections in its menu. There are default apps and option to download new apps. Installation is simple and fast. It has a Wi-Fi connection, GPS-GLONASS and Bluetooth connection. You can connect the watch to your smartphone using the mobile app. Garmin forerunner 645 comes in two versions, namely Standard and with Music.
Garmin forerunner 645 has full features of activity tracking, heart rate monitoring, Garmin Pay, compatibility for ANT + Sensors, lactate threshold, and plenty of widgets for weather monitoring, stress monitoring, activity history, intensity training and group training sessions.
- Garmin Forerunner 645 Review – Specifications
- Garmin forerunner 645 Functions
- Garmin Forerunner 645 Performance Rating
- Watch this short video review of Garmin Forerunner 645 smartwatch to see how it works:
Garmin Forerunner 645 Review – Specifications
1. Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, GPS running watch with Garmin Pay contactless payments, wrist-based heart rate and music
Buttons: GF645 has five buttons for the user interface. You can use them for controlling light, start/stop, back, down and up functions for screen and menu selection options.
Design: GF645 has dimension of 1.7″ x 0.5″ x 1.7″ and weighs 1.44 ounces. Compatibility of the watch is with 20mm hand bands. It has a sliding pin which makes it easy for you to change the bands with minimum effort.
Icons: GF645 has plenty of status icons on its user interface. They show you present status of GPS, battery, phone, heart rate, foot pod, running dynamics pod, speed, bike radar and many more.
ANT + Sensors: Patented ANT + Sensors are responsible for capturing all data related to status notifications from Icons. You can get maximum benefits from real-time display, reporting, logging, log viewing, and zone settings through these sensors.
Notifications: You can configure GF645 Bluetooth to receive notifications from your smartphone. The system can also generate audio notifications when you are running and exercising. It can give you all voice status through the smart speakers. Voice is clear and loud. You can hear it even when there are external disturbances and noise around you. You can also set the watch into vibration mode to get alerts.
Firmware: GF645 runs on firmware 2.5 version which was last updated on April 2018. OEM and third party vendors keep updating the firmware with added features. You can check out online to get more information. The present version of firmware is highly advanced and uses all features of GF645 hardware with the apps.
Body: Engineering grade stainless steel body and bezel have high tensile strength and flexibility. GF645 is resistant to heat, humidity and climatic conditions. It has a water rating of 5ATM.
Design: Design of GF645 is simple, yet sophisticated. It comes with default synthetic band that is interchangeable. The dial is black and grey in color. The bezel is white, and the case is black. The case is resistant to sweating and moisture deposit on the wrist.
Wearing: You have to wear the watch at a distance of index finger thickness from wrist bone. Then GF645 can produce best results to maximum precision.
Garmin forerunner 645 Functions
1. Heart Rate Monitoring
It is highly useful for making improvements in your training programs. Since GF645 gives you connectivity with third-party apps, you can connect this data to know better about your blood pressure, haemoglobin count, oxygen intake, and other related cardiovascular and metabolic activities. It is the best way to know about your improvement in fitness and overall health.[/su_note]
2. Performance Monitoring
GF645 can monitor your performance while running and exercising. For example, it can monitor average values for stride length, ascent and descent, aerobic and anaerobic fitness level, cadence, speed, ground contact time, and SWOLF and strokes per pool length (during swimming), etc.
GF645 can keep track of real-time data as well as average data. You can view history for past week through app’s graphical representation. Interestingly, GF645 uses multiple types of a chart like a line, pie, bar, and others to show you relevant data.
3. Training Program
GF645 has dedicated training section for workouts, calendar, interval exercises, virtual partner, previous activity, and personal records including health status, problems, etc. Training section is split into many segments like STRAVA, racing, and auto effort.
1. STRAVA: STRAVA of GF645 is a brilliant feature for comparing your activity levels with those of your friends and your own past performance. You can also use it to compare with targets for every session. Average data over a span of time will tell you about progress towards set targets.
If the line moves away from target, system can generate an alert in the form of reports and history. You can view the gap and take steps to make improvements in future.
2. Racing: Segment racing is one of the most attractive features of GF645. You can use this feature for running and cycling activities. One recorded, the system can show you details like a map, race time, elevation plot, distance, speed and other related parameters. So, you can compare your previous performance at current levels.
When connected to an app on your smartphone, the system can also perform the task of comparison to give you real-time information.
3. Virtual Partner: You can all Virtual Partner of Garmin Forerunner 645 as one of the best things to happen for your fitness and running programs. Virtual Partner lets you set target. It monitors speed, measures distance, connects to timer, measures remaining/excess time, and lets you know the gap between your target and your actual performance.
When you use this feature over an extended number of weeks, it can generate weekly charts and reports to show you how you are progressing.
4. Fitness Goals: Apart from setting targets for performance, GF645 lets you set goals for heart rate zone, calories, volume of oxygen (VO2) intake, stress levels, lactate threshold, etc.
5. VO2 Intake: VO2 is directly related to your heart rate, lungs fitness, and circulation and pumping efficiency of the heart. The system has specific indicator colours to show — purple indicates superior — blue indicates excellent — green indicates good-rate.
Orange indicates Fair and red indicates poor. GF645 can give you the time duration you spend in each zone for the previous N number of hours and days. You have to compare this data with your heart rate zone to get accurate information about your performance efficiency.
6. Training Status: GF645 can give you detailed information about your training status. There are times when your workout and running don’t seem to produce any positive results at all. It happens when your body fatigue level is higher than the normal level. At the same time, GF645 can measure your peak performance.
7. Lactation Threshold: It is the period when your muscles start getting stressed out beyond tolerance limits. Fatigue starts seeping into your muscles and the possibility of injury increases. GF645 can detect this phase with its highly sensitive lactation threshold checker. For this, you have to pair it up with Garmin chest heart rate monitoring device.
8. Recovery Rate: Your heart rate zone and heart rate count will be at the peak when you reach lactation threshold. The system can record those values. Now it will calculate the number of hours required to recover from state and return to normal condition. It can track your average recovery time based on continuous tracking of your high profile activities like running, swimming, cycling, and strength training.
Then the system gives you chart data based on calculated recovery time and actual recovery time, whenever you hit the lactation threshold. It will help you in taking the right steps for improving your performance levels.
Garmin Forerunner 645 Performance Rating
Performance rating GF645 is based on a number of unproductive hours you spend vs the productive hours. It considers the training load as one of the critical parameters for measuring performance improvement.
Training Load menu on your GF645 is through the measurement of training effects on your aerobic and anaerobic forms of exercises and activities. The system has an inbuilt table of color zones grey-blue, green, orange and red. Maximum effect is at 5 for red and zero to 0.9 for grey. It can tell you about aerobic and anaerobic benefits based on training effects.
Watch this short video review of Garmin Forerunner 645 smartwatch to see how it works: